Welcome to Year 4's Class page.
Our Lady's School is a caring family, where, with Jesus in our hearts, we value everyone and encourage them to be the best that they can be.
Here is some general information to help you with our school and class routines:
- Mrs. Wilkinson is your class teacher. Mr. Blundell and Mrs. Cassidy are our Teaching Assistants.
- There will be two hours of PE per week (Thursday and Friday). You will need to come in to school in your PE kit (this could be anything suitable to do P.E. in such as tracksuits, leggings and trainers etc.). You do not need to bring in your school uniform.
- Homework: Please access it through Seesaw and Purple Mash. Codes will be sent home at the beginning of the autumn term.
- Reading: Try to read regularly and choose books you enjoy! Access a range of books using our GetEpic code and Accelerated Reading resources. Home readers and Accelerated Reading books can go home. Please bring your book bags with your home reader and accelerated reader to school every day. Reading records will be kept in school for now. Books will be changed weekly- usually on a Wednesday.
- Spellings: New rules in spellings are introduced at the beginning of the week and we practise the words daily using different activities. These will also be set as homework on Seesaw. You can practise these on EdShed (Spelling Shed ) too. The spelling test will be on Fridays.
- Times tables: Please keep up with your times tables practice upto 12 x 12 and particularly practise the 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 times tables which are new to year 4. Don't forget to recap the rest of the times tables too. There will be a national MTC check in year 4 in the summer term.
- English: 'Fantasy stories'. We'll be starting with this unit from the 20th of September. Our class novel and focus text is Philip Pullman's 'The Firework-maker's daughter'. Our end of unit outcome will be to write our own fantasy stories based on this. We'll be using noun phrases, inverted commas and fronted adverbials for when.
- Topic: Sparks Might Fly! : Our lead subjects are Science, Music and Design and Technology. In Science, we'll be learning about electricity. We'll be designing a torch as our final outcome using the skills learnt in Science and DT. We'll be combining our skills in Music and Computing to create a piece of digital music using the app Garageband.
- R.E. Our first topic is 'Domestic Church'. We are now in the final week of this topic. Our next topic is 'Called'.
- PSHE: Being me in my world: understanding how it feels to be part of our school community and how being democratic makes everyone feel valued.
- Computing: We'll be creating our own Digital Music for a specific purpose such as a dance workout or a piece of calming music using 'Garageband'.
- Maths: Length and Perimeter- We will be measuring lengths in mm and cm. We'll be calculating the perimeter of rectilinear shapes and drawing 2D shapes using given sides.
- Music- Mr. Buchanan is our Ukulele teacher. We have Ukulele lessons once a week on Wednesdays.
- MFL- Spanish:We have been meeting and greeting each other and expressing our feelings. We are learning how to count till 15 in Spanish.
DT outcomes: We are very proud of our products!
Well done everyone!
Our Electricity songs and raps:
We created our own digital music using 2Sequence on Purple Mash and then wrote the lyrics. Finally we rehearsed and performed our songs. You can access our videos on Seesaw.
DT - Prototypes
We have made our prototypes and are now looking forward to making the real thing next week!
R.E. - Domestic Church - Prayer Service
We have been learning about Jesus' family tree and his ancestors.
The children planned a lovely prayer service. We enjoyed the drama and all the different aspects that the groups covered such as the prayers, going forth gifts , and our focus. Well done to all the groups!
DT- Exploring torches
We have been exploring existing designs of torches and thinking about our product, purpose and user. We have been talking about aesthetic (What does it look like?) and functional appeal(Does it work?).
Transition days :
We have enjoyed our first couple of days and had a lot of fun! Now we are looking forward to learning and working together in year 4.
Maths - Sequence of learning - 2021-22
PSHE - JIGSAW OVERVIEWS PUZZLES 1-6